A patch for the Need For Speed 4: High Stakes. This is a side project of the Need For Speed III Modern Patch. Currently, it has a small amount of fixes. The key features of this patch are portability (no more registry!) and high poly cars support (it is useful for modding). There is still no widescreen resolutions support.
How to install
- Copy DATA and SAVEDATA directories from the NFS4 CD to a new empty directory.
- Extract contents of the nfs4_modern_patch.7z (1.2MB) into that directory with replacement of files.
Find other NFS4 fans for the network games in our Skype group chat!
If you wish to find someone who wants to play NFS4 with you, join this Skype group chat. If you want to disable notifications from this chat, simply type a command
/alertsoff and send it.
Plans: Milestone 1 (Full Widescreen Support)
Collected: $864 (the surplus will be moved to the next milestone).
Mandatory set of features:
- Refactoring of the thrash init and get resolutions list code. It have to solve some compatibility problems with D3D renderers.
- Widescreen resolutions support for the gameplay. It will be possible to choose it from the graphics settings in a general way.
- Proper handling of all aspect ratios (from 5:4 to 16:9, inclusive 4:3 and 16:10). HUD will be adopted automatically for every supported resolution.
- Better modding abilities. AllowHugeTextures setting support, which will allow to use textures up to 2048×2048.
- Patching of the voodoo2a.dll to add an ability to use widescreen resolutions (a Glide API extension, by default only d3da.dll can use widescreen resolutions).
- 32bpp support in the voodoo2a.dll (another Glide API extension).
- Huge textures support in the voodoo2a.dll (and again, it's also a Glide API extension).
It is planned to release v1.0.0 when these features will be done and they will be stable. I'm planning to include some other nice features into the first release, but the list is not predefined. For example, I'll try to remove effect limitations in the menu for the D3D renderers.