Projects like the Need For Seed III Modern Patch require enormous amount of time for developing and support. It is not possible to do such things spending only an hour or two in the evenings. It requires days and weeks of hard work without huge gaps, 8-10 hours per day. Please donate if you like my projects and would like to get some new updates. It is the best motivator to continue working on them.
I have published initial version of the NFS4 Modern Patch. Currently, it has a small amount of fixes. Unfortunately, I had spent more than 150 days during last year on developing of the NFS3 Modern Patch, it is too much, and now I can't afford to spend enough time for porting main useful changes to the NFS4. I recommend you to try the NFS3 Modern Patch to understand how big and useful this NFS4 version of the patch could be.
This kind of work needs much time. It is not possible to do such things spending only an hour or two in the evenings. It requires days and weeks of hard work without huge gaps, 8-10 hours per day. I had started NFS3 Modern Patch a year ago, and little by little this project absorbed all my time and had taken the place of my paid work (freelance). Now I can't continue in the same spirit because I'm almost out of money. It's time to choose what I will do next.
The first release of my patch for the Need For Speed 4: High Stakes. It is a side project of the Need For Speed III Modern Patch. Currently, it has a small amount of fixes. The key features of this patch are portability (no more registry!) and high poly cars support (it is useful for modding). There is still no widescreen resolutions support.
- “Rear View Camera” setting which allows to lock the rear view camera in the car. It greatly increases visibility and reduces the blind spot when the current main camera is not “In Car”.
- Experimental ini setting AllowHugeTextures which enables huge texture (512×512, 1024×1024, and 2048×2048) support for track elements and cars during gameplay. Useful for the game modding.
- Fixed a bug of the original game which was a cause of different volume of the race music each race.
- Added two additional random race music modes: Random (Rock) and Random (Techno).
- Added two additional random menu music modes: Random (Fast) and Random (Slow). Fast: Romulus 3, Triton, Pi. Slow: Minotaur, Whipped, Whacked.
- Menu music volume will be used for the movies.
- Better Rear View Detail setting. Light from the car headlights and cop flashers will be rendered even on Medium value of this setting. View Distance and Car Detail in the Rear View Mirror now depends on Rear View Detail also. So, if you have performance problems with High level of the Rear View Detail setting, just use Medium. It have to be much more usable now.
- Better compatibility with the Thrash API v107 according to fog. So, the DX7 renderer can render fog in the NFS3 now.
- Fixed a bug of the original game which was a cause of using player name from the loaded ghost file instead of the current player name.
- More than 20 changes in these releases. See the readme file for more details.
- No more non-rotating wheels in the rear view mirror and in the split screen mode (when Car Detail is High).
- Rear View Mirror can display better 3D model, clouds, lightnings, and light from the headlights of cars and from the flashers of cops. “Rear View Mirror” detail setting was added. Better proportions of the objects in the rear view mirror.
- An ability to enable or disable the fog effect directly from the graphics settings menu.
- No more "Render_GetTm() raM out of raN" error for high poly cars. Corresponding buffer is 10 times larger now.
- The View Angle setting allows to enable wider view angle, which is useful for the widescreen resolutions. New set of options: Narrow, Normal (former Wide), Wide.
- 10 times faster gameplay loading on modern systems. To skip loading animation just press any key.
- An ability to use port 9803 for the network games. It solves the problem when you can't start a network game because port 1030 often is used by system services.
- Built-in screenshoter. Just press Print Screen key, and a screenshot will be saved into the screenshots subdirectory in the JPG/PNG/BMP format.
- Improved keyboard support in the menu. Now it is much more consistent. You can also use the Tab and Shift+Tab to switch between elements.
- Consistent sounds in the menu. Volume of all menu sounds will be same. Also you can set Menu Sounds Volume separately from the volume of the ingame special effects.
- About 100 small changes in the v1.4.0 and v1.5.0. See the readme file for more details.
A small update of the Need For Speed III Modern Patch.
- Windows 98/Me support (it's recommended to use DX6 thrash driver with these OSes).
- Better handling of running the game alternately on different displays with different maximum resolutions.
- A couple of insignificant optimizations.
You can find more information about this project on this page.