NES demo based on the pirate multicart with a romantic storyline and the Unchained Melody in the menu.
- Better handling of quick switching of slides.
- Darker palette for birds at night.
- Other insignificant improvements in graphics.
- Fixed minor bugs in the engine.
- Music represented in more compact format (takes 40% less space lossless).
- NSFe file embedded into demo, so it can be easily ripped from the ROM file.
- The secret mode of the Universe control (but don’t tell about it to your psychiatrist).
- The super secret mode of proud birdie with special effects from the legendary Michael Bay.
Download: unchained_nostalgia.zip (20KB). Project page →
I have published initial version of the NFS4 Modern Patch. Currently, it has a small amount of fixes. Unfortunately, I had spent more than 150 days during last year on developing of the NFS3 Modern Patch, it is too much, and now I can’t afford to spend enough time for porting main useful changes to the NFS4. I recommend you to try the NFS3 Modern Patch to understand how big and useful this NFS4 version of the patch could be.
This kind of work needs much time. It is not possible to do such things spending only an hour or two in the evenings. It requires days and weeks of hard work without huge gaps, 8-10 hours per day. I had started NFS3 Modern Patch a year ago, and little by little this project absorbed all my time and had taken the place of my paid work (freelance). Now I can’t continue in the same spirit because I’m almost out of money. It’s time to choose what I will do next.
The first release of my patch for the Need For Speed 4: High Stakes. It is a side project of the Need For Speed III Modern Patch. Currently, it has a small amount of fixes. The key features of this patch are portability (no more registry!) and high poly cars support (it is useful for modding). There is still no widescreen resolutions support.
Download: nfs4_modern_patch.7z (1.2MB). Project page →
- “Rear View Camera” setting which allows to lock the rear view camera in the car. It greatly increases visibility and reduces the blind spot when the current main camera is not “In Car”.
- Experimental ini setting AllowHugeTextures which enables huge texture (512×512, 1024×1024, and 2048×2048) support for track elements and cars during gameplay. Useful for the game modding.
- Fixed a bug of the original game which was a cause of different volume of the race music each race.
- Added two additional random race music modes: Random (Rock) and Random (Techno).
- Added two additional random menu music modes: Random (Fast) and Random (Slow). Fast: Romulus 3, Triton, Pi. Slow: Minotaur, Whipped, Whacked.
- Menu music volume will be used for the movies.
- Better Rear View Detail setting. Light from the car headlights and cop flashers will be rendered even on Medium value of this setting. View Distance and Car Detail in the Rear View Mirror now depends on Rear View Detail also. So, if you have performance problems with High level of the Rear View Detail setting, just use Medium. It have to be much more usable now.
- Better compatibility with the Thrash API v107 according to fog. So, the DX7 renderer can render fog in the NFS3 now.
- Fixed a bug of the original game which was a cause of using player name from the loaded ghost file instead of the current player name.
- More than 20 changes in these releases. See the readme file for more details.
Download: nfs3_modern_patch.7z (1.5MB). Project page →
A software MIDI synthesizer for Windows, which functions as a VSTi plugin. Supports both the Yamaha XG and the Roland GS extensions, which is a unique feature of the S-YXG50. It is based on the trial version from the Yamaha SOL2 package. The full version of this VSTi had never been released, because Yamaha had decided to discontinue support of all its software synthesizers in 2003. Fortunately, the trial version have a full version of the S-YXG50 engine, so it is possible to remove the trial restrictions to get a full version. In addition to the removed trial restrictions this patch adds the portability (installation and registry keys are not needed), also it uses embedded into the DLL resources the 4MB official wavetable files, which is the best version of wavetable files for the S-YXG50.
Download: yamaha_syxg50_vsti.7z (3.0MB). Project page →
Yamaha S-YXG50 was released in 1997. First versions were shipped with the simplified 2MB version of the wavetable, and the full 4MB version was published only in 2001. It seems that the cause of this is low amount of RAM in the computers of 90s. Both versions of the wavetable files were created in 1996 (4MB in February, simplified 2MB in July). Possibly, the full 4MB version is a dump of the WAVE ROM of the Yamaha MU80 / MU50 / QS300 / DB50XG / DB60XG / SW60XG / MU10, because the Yamaha S-YXG50 soft synthesizer is very similar to this series of hardware of 1994-1996.
Sometimes I’m trying to learn English. There are no problems with the practice of reading and listening. But I don’t know where I can talk about something interesting for a geek like me. This is why I’ve created an English-speaking Skype chat about IT and other interesting things. You are welcome! Don’t be shy to post interesting links and other things which could be an interesting topic for discussion.
How to enter →
A small update of the Need For Speed III Modern Patch.
- Windows 98/Me support (it’s recommended to use DX6 thrash driver with these OSes).
- Better handling of running the game alternately on different displays with different maximum resolutions.
- A couple of insignificant optimizations.
You can find more information about this project on this page.
Welcome to the English version of my blog! I’ve seen that some users are using Google Translate to read Russian version of my blog. I hope that my English is a little bit better than automatic translation, and it will be more understandable for you. I’m not going to translate all my old posts, so some of my projects available only in the Russian version of these pages. But I’m planning to present here the most useful ones for international users. Feel free to contact me if you would like to improve quality of English on some pages of this blog.